In addition to helping me sleep better at night (yes, running a few miles can be the best sleep aid), it has also gotten my complexion a lot clearer (must be all of the sweat leaving my system and cleansing my face from inside out).
I also find myself less likely to park near store entrances because I don't mind the extra walk anymore.
I have not joined a running group because my hectic scheduled is quite unpredictable.
The following are some truths that I discovered regarding running:
- You really need to run about 10-15 minutes to let your body warm up before you run at a faster pace.
- Stretching after each run is important, before each run is optional.
- If you alternate your sneakers (between two pairs), they last longer.
- Quality socks makes a difference.
- Running is the cheapest and most effective exercise there is!
- Cross training with other sports makes you a better athlete.
- Reading about other runners either online or in magazines is a great motivating tool.
- Running can be and should be a family event (if your spouse or partner is a better runner, have him/her push a jogging stroller with a kid in it and you will be able to level the running field).
- Drink plenty of water.
- If you feel guilty having a rest day, then, do some cross training (biking, swimming, etc.) so your body still gets some exercise.
- Running can be viral (you don't realize it, but once you run, you inspire others to take up the sport).
- It has alot to do with getting into a rhythm (still working on this, but having a certain rhythm to my strides help me as a runner).